From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-23 09:24:20

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Sorry for the dumb question...
>
> Just installed boost following the instructions on boost.org, and I
> can't find the smart_ptr library. I downloaded the 1.32 .bz file, and
> bjam, and installed on Linux/RHEL4.
>
> I've now got 189 boost libraries in /usr/local/lib, and 32 in /usr/lib.

Hm, how did you end up with 32 in /usr/lib? The bjam install doesn't put
them there. Did you install the RPM package also?

> However, the only base libraries seem to be date_time, filesystem,
> prg_exec_monitor, program_options, python, regex, serialisation,
> signals, test_exec_monitor, thread, unit_test_framework, and
> wserialisation, some of which aren't even listed on the libraries page
> at boost.org. Where's smart_ptr? None of these libraries appear to have it.

smart_ptr is a header only library. The others are: Boost.DateTime,
Boost.Filesystem, Boost.ProgramOptions, Boost.Python, Boost.Regex,
Boost.Serialization, Boost.Signals, and Boost.Test. Some of those
produce more than one library, i.e. Boost.Test.

> The smart_ptr headers are in /usr/local/include/boost-1_32/boost, as
> expected (but why 2 levels down? Surely I'm not expected to #include
> <boost-1_32/boost/xx.hpp??)

No of course not. But you are expected to either:

* Add /usr/local/include/boost-1_32 to your compilers include path.

* Or symlink from /usr/local/include/boost to
/usr/local/include/boost-1_32/boost.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything