From: BRIDGES Dick (Dick.Bridges_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 17:04:30

I have the following requirements.

One TCP socket - R&W ("event driven": R & W request arrivals not
predictable) - threadsafe.

If it's of any help, readS update the local state machine in response to
events external to a "server". Events external to the local device are
reported back to the server via writeS. Communication in both
directions is in the form of discrete "messages". OS is, let's say,
Linux.

An IOStream wrapper would be nice. On the other hand, I must have
fairly low level control over the socket (specify interface(s) used, set
various SO_*, etc.)

It just doesn't seem that I should be required to roll my own to provide
what appears to me to be a fairly basic set of requirements. On the
other hand, I haven't seen anything on Boost that provides the features
I'm looking for. It looks like the closest would be the new iostreams
library *after* Jonathan Turkanis adds socket support to Boost version
1.34. Is that pretty much it? Anyone got any other ideas that might
work now?

Suggestions sincerely appreciated,
Dick Bridges

and wrong." H.L. Mencken