From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-21 07:54:18

> What do you think? Could boost regex make usage of such traits_class or
> you would not like to
> include it into the distribution?

I don't know, it depends what it does: how do you plan to handle character
classification in a portable manner for unsigned short?

> There are too many developers involved in the process, that we force all
> to recompile Xerces-C
> with specific settings. I don't think this would be an option for us. In
> our case it can also lead
> to unpredictable results, if one replaces xerces-c with freshly compiled
> xerces-c without icu
> support. I am a little bit sceptical about this.

OK let me try one more time: if you compile regex *only* with ICU support,
and use the iterator based u32regex_match/u32regex_search algorithms (or
their equivalent regex iterators) then it doesn't matter what character type
Xerces or anything else uses as long as:

It's an 8-bit type: then it'll be treated as an [unsigned] UTF-8 encoded
string.
Or: It's a 16-bit type, then it'll be treated as an [unsigned] UTF-16
encoded string.
Or: It's a 32-bit type, then it'll be treated as an [unsigned] UTF-32
encoded string.

Is that generic enough for you? :-)

John.