From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-01 02:57:23

Joseph Turian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging some software for distribution, and the software depends
> upon the 'program_options' library.
>
> I don't want to assume that the user has boost installed, or ever jam. So
> I was wondering about the potential for automagically building and using
> the 'program_options' library if it is not already present on the user's
> system.
>
> I would include the source files in libs/program_options/, and write a
> small Makefile for it.
> I would also include all the Boost headers.
>
> Is this sufficient, even though it wouldn't run the Boost configure script
> to determine system-specific settings?
> Can you see any problems in building this library without doing a full
> Boost install?

Generally, it's Ok to build any given boost library, including
program_options, by hand. The Boost.Build system is a convenience, not an
absolute must.

The Boost configure script is mostly for "rare" platforms. On up-to-day
Linux, Boost.Config will work fine, and so building the library manually
should be rather easy.

- Volodya