From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-03 22:28:29

On 03/08/05, gast128 <gast128_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering why boost::array did not offer compile time checked access to
> its contents, something like a.get<1>(), a similar interface like tuple.
> Otherwise I see not much enhancement compared to an ordinary std::vector.
>
> Wkr,
> me

boost::array is allocated on the stack like a normal array, while a
std::vector needs to use an allocator, usually putting it on the heap.

Also, the normal usage pattern for arrays ( dynamic or otherwise ) is
looping through them, the accesses in which cannot be compile-time
checked. Note, however, that operator[] does assert that the index is
valid--which quickly caught me a bug a little while back.

- Scott McMurray