From: Thomas Matelich (matelich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-08 10:55:49

On 8/6/05, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >I was really shocked when a bcp shared_ptr foo/ copied 274 files. I
> > expected a lot, but not that many. Then I read the doc's more closely
> > and it says that if you depend on any header from a lib, you get the
> > whole lib. Could it be possible to add a -minimal option to have only
> > the actual headers used included?
>
> No you don't get the whole library if you include just one header, what you
> do get:
>
> * It searches for library names first, so using "regex" as a name will give
> you everything in the libs/regex directory and everything that depends on,
> but that's not the case here.
> * If you include the header of a library with separate source, then you get
> that libraries source and all it's dependencies, but that's not the case
> here.

I see.

> * A lot of MPL and type traits code that includes workarounds for broken
> compilers that you may or may not need (in fact gcc appears not include any
> of these headers at all).

It was the existence of all the type_traits headers that made me
suspect it was doing bulk library copies. I didn't see how is_float
would be related to shared_ptr :). I guess if I had actually gone to
look I would have seen I only got 28 header instead of all 77. A
cursory scan of the bcp code "confirmed" my suspicions.

Thanks for a neat tool.

Tom