From: martin f krafft (madduck_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 13:34:48

Dear all,

I have been spending the last two days trying to get John Torjo's
logging library[0] working, but I am failing even though I can
already see the goal[1]. Unfortunately, John seems to be on vacation
or is otherwise occupied so as to not find time to answer my emails.
Thus I turn to you...

I have two problems right now, one small and one rather large one.

The small one may well be my own confusion. Like most Boost
libraries, Boost.Jam turns Boost.Log into eight different libraries:
the permutations of release or debug, threade or not, and static or
shared. For my first tests, I chose the single-threaded, static,
release library. However, even the simplest programme segfaults in
the weirdest places until I tell the linker to also link in
libpthread (or Boost.Thread). What gives? Why does a single-threaded
library need pthreads?

The larger problem is a heisenproblem, that is I cannot pin it down,
which is largely a problem due to libpthread mucking about with gdb
in a way I can't seem to control. In a nutshell though, log messages
sometimes get written twice, sometimes not at all, and all this
without any threads or caching.

So once I figured out how to make it work without pthreads, I'll be
back with more. Any hints?

0. http://www.torjo.com/code/logging.zip
1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/08/msg00768.html

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net_at_madduck

invalid/expired pgp (sub)keys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus_at_[hidden]

"a fundamentalist is someone who hates sin more than he loves virtue."
                                                     -- john h. schaar