From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-23 01:24:43

Liam Routt wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:

>> I think that it would be better to use a 32 bit count instead, as in
>> the patch below (int is 32-bit under both PPC32 and PPC64, right?)
>
> Surely we have some sort of "bit-sized" basic types? I'm new to Boost,
> but we've had typedefs in our own project for as long as we've been
> using C++...

We have <boost/cstdint.hpp>, yes, although in this specific case I think I
want just

#if INT_MAX >= 0x7FFFFFFF

typedef int count_type;

#else

typedef long count_type;

#endif

I'll fix this for 1.34. In the meantime, ...

>> Either way, please let us know whether one or both of these changes
>> resolve the issue, so that we can put the fix in 1.33.1, if one is
>> released.
>
> Both patches allow us to pass the entire suite on the PPC64/Linux/gcc
> combo.
>
> Any suggestion which I should apply locally to allow us to proceed?

... the 'int' patch seems to be the way to go. 'ld*' might not work on
PPC32, and 64 bits are an overkill for the reference count, anyway.

> Are there more parts of the test suite that we should run?

You may want to try shared_ptr_mt_test and weak_ptr_mt_test, if you haven't
already. These aren't being run by default.