From: Thomas Matelich (matelich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-24 15:37:03

On 8/23/05, Thorsten Ottosen <nesotto_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "Thomas Matelich" <matelich_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
> > seems to be working okay so far. I'm trying to determine just how
> > important shared copying is, and what the performance impace is.
>
> it is quite big if you do it a lot.
>
> > Just
> > ran into my first non-trivial issue with no copy construction (I don't
> > want cloning) :) Fun stuff.
>
> you prefer the containers to copy-constructible?

Well, I blew my 1 day exploration into replacing with ptr_vector
without learning much except that we copy these SmartVector's around a
lot, including returning them from functions. Unfortunately, we don't
do it very often in the unittests I was trying to do my timing with.
Anyway, my explorations did tell me that I think replacing our
vector<shared_ptr> would probably work better as a shared_ptr<vector>.
 I'll look into it next time I have a day to blow.

Thanks anyway for a cool library.

Tom