From: Paul Pogonyshev (pogonyshev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-08 14:04:21

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Is it possible that atomic operations in Boost are made available for
> >library users? `shared_ptr' is good, but sometimes one might need the
> >low-level operations too.
>
> The atomic operations are likely to remain an internal detail as they
> are only available on some Boost platforms. You're probably better off
> investigating Hans Boehm's libatomic_ops
> (http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/atomic_ops/).

Thanks for the pointer. But is it not possible that Boost expands its
implementation to other platforms? At least in the form of shared mutex
locking in non-implemented-in-a-proper-way cases, with appropriate note
in docs? I would really appreciate atomic operations as an addition to
the Boost Threads library and avoid more dependencies...

Paul