From: Austin Bingham (austin.bingham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-13 10:15:00

I don't remember all of the details, but a while back we went through the
experiement of implementing parts of our build in both bjam and scons.
Probably the single biggest benefit that scons had over bjam (and the other
options we looked at) was the use of python. It was very natural and
comforting, whenever we can across a wierd corner in the build, to just
write some python code to deal with it. I seem to remember scons being
better documented, although it was perhaps just more intuitive.

In the end, both build systems worked just fine, IIRC, and we stuck with
scons for the reasons above. Since then, we've come to place a great deal of
faith in scons. It's a great crutch, in fact, as it's extremely good at
determining when stuff is out of date (this also makes it pretty slow
sometimes). I've found, for instance, that bjam doesn't seem to notice when
I change compile-time definitions (i.e. for the signals lib namespace),
while scons does.

Austin Bingham