From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-14 08:34:46

> On the Boost.Build list we were just discussing the fact that some
> people otherwise inclined towards Boost have chosen Scons over
> Boost.Build. It would be useful for us to understand some of the
> reasons why, if some of you wouldn't mind letting us know. No flames,
> please!

Just something I came across on another mailing list you may be
interested in.

Martin

I keep meaning to put up a followup article to the build system one. I
consider a bunch of other build systems, including Boost.Jam.

I looked into Boost.Jam because it was supposed to be the great followup to
Jam, with all the little things fixed and support for a bunch of very
useful things out of the box.

Well, somebody dropped the ball big time with that. First of all, I found
Boost.Jam to be extremely complex (nothing like the original Jam, which
wasn't exactly simple either). But the big problem was performance.

Here's a comparison of a build with the same set of files:

Jam on Windows:
     - Full rebuild: 6m 52s
     - Incremental build: 3.1s
     - Incremental single libray: 0.3s

BoostBuild v2 (3.1.10) on Windows:
     - Full rebuild: 12m 03s
     - Incremental build: 55.5s
     - Incremental single libray: 2.0s

I find the difference in performance simply baffling. How bad can you screw
up the performance of a full build using the same compiler???

Anyway, as I said, I'll put up a full article this weekend including
results
for Boost.Jam, Ant, Nant, VS2005 and a few others.

--Noel
Games from Within
http://www.gamesfromwithin.com