From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-16 09:40:39

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Aaron Windsor wrote:
> The main problem I can see with this solution is that if you call
> get(vertex_index,g) twice you get distinct instances of an
> auto_index_property_map, containing different associative containers.
> This
> could cause some pretty spectacular failures and might be a tough bug
> to catch within an algorithm. But from what I've seen, getting the
> vertex_index or edge_index property is usually done once by the
> algorithm,
> as in foo's signature above, so that all we would need to do is change
> the
> behavior of get(vertex_index,g) and get(edge_index,g) to return an
> auto_index_property_map. I'd be willing to code up an
> auto_index_property_map if anyone likes this idea, otherwise I vote for
> Doug's #4 above.

I like the idea of being able to build an auto_index_map map. However,
I don't think it should be returned from get(vertex_index, g)
automatically. My concern is that we'd be lying to the user, in effect,
about the presence of a vertex index property.
Now, if we do exactly the same thing but call the property
vertex_auto_index, then I'd be thrilled to have an implementation and
integrate it into the BGL.

        Doug