From: Simon Buchan (simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-28 16:53:56

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Ok, I didn't go to school for computer programming, so I never had
> experience with a "Compilers" class or anything related to
> lexing/parsing. But now I'm getting interested in it and have begun
> looking at some things.
>
> Spirit seems good, but it seems very weighty to work with.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experiences with Spirit *and* CTTL and
> would be able to list for me some of the pros and cons of each.
> Spirit is, of course, a boost library and would be easier to find help
> and things of that nature, but CTTL seems to be a tad more lightweight
> (I'm not really sure).
>
> Thanks for any and all replies.

Don't forget to put a link in:
http://cttl.sourceforge.net/

 From what I've seen, this is MUCH harder to write grammars in, but
that's probably just because i'm not used to it. Compare:

Echo's back a Java/C++ program without it's comments:
http://cttl.sourceforge.net/example_cpp_comment_strip_cpp.html
Description of Spirit's comment matching facilities (amongst other
uses), A file that demonstrates it is linked at the bottom.
http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/doc/confix.html