From: Ken Roser (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-07 15:37:55

I finally got this to work. Initially I built the gcc 3.4.4 compiler to
install in the /usr/local/gcc/gcc34 directory. It was that compiler I
was using to build boost. The problems resulted in incompatibilities
with /usr/bin/ld and existing libraries on the system. Since this was
ld related, I determined which version of ld previously worked for me
with this compiler before I upgraded to Fedora Core 4. In my case it
was 2.14.90.0.4. I found the source at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/binutils-2.14.90.0.4.1.tar.bz2
.

Now the trick is to build binutils to install in the same directory
structure as the compiler. That way, the utilities are only used via
invocations of the compiler tools. To so, use the --prefix option when
you run configure and specify the same prefix path that you did when
building the compiler. In my case this was /usr/local/gcc/gcc34.