From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-20 12:11:35

Jeff Garland wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:09:20 -0700 (PDT), Ansuman Kar wrote
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm a newbie user of Boost libraries. We have a
>>requirement for making our sources work on Win32 and
>>Pocket PC platforms. From my early look inside the
>>boost libraries I can see the serious advantages of
>>using them; but would like to find out which Boost
>>libraries are supported on Pocket PC before using
>>them.
>>

>I seem to remember some discussion long ago of some users of Boost on pocket
>PC. That said, we don't have an official regression test on the platform, so
>it's a bit hard to tell what would work and what wouldn't.
>
>Probably the biggest question, is what tools you would use (compiler/standard
>lib/platform api). If you are using something usual like VC7.1 I would expect
>support to be very good.

Unfortunately the Microsoft compiler for WinCE is pretty much on a par
with VC++6. The STL supplied with it is now fairly complete but it
doesn't have the standard iostreams or locale libraries.

>Some libs like filesystem/threads/date-time (just to
>pick some) that have some tie to platform API's might be trickier if the
>normal windows/posix api's aren't supported. Even if you run into some trouble
>Boost authors are usually pretty responsive about helping with porting to new
>environments, etc.

<snip>

WinCE supports much of the Win32 API but with some notable exceptions. I
began porting a program that uses Boost to WinCE some time ago and
didn't encounter too many problems within Boost. I don't remember
needing to make changes to Boost.Thread. We don't use the Filesystem or
Datetime libraries.

Ben.