From: Topi Mäenpää (topi.maenpaa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-02 09:55:07

Hi,

I have struggled to get the boost libraries link into my application
with no success so far. I was able to compile most of the demo programs
with bjam, but it seems that only static linking is used there. I'm
using the dynamic versions. The libraries compiled fine with MSVC.NET
7.1. However, whenever I try to link them to an application, every
symbol seems to be undefined. I turned on the diagnostics to see that
the automatic linking is happening (with the nonstandard preprocessor
stuff). I also added the libraries to my project manually without
success. The funny (?) thing is that the lib file has a definition for
the "missing" functions, except for one minor difference. This is the
mangled symbol the linker complains about:

__imp_?save@?$xml_oarchive_impl_at_Vxml_oarchive_at_archive@boost@@@archive_at_boost@@QAEXABV?$basic_string_at_GU?$char_traits_at_G@std@@V?$allocator_at_G@2@@std@@@Z

(Omitting namespaces this one decrypts to
xml_oarchive_impl<xml_oarchive>::save(basic_string& const))

This is what seems to be in the library:

__imp_?save@?$xml_oarchive_impl_at_Vxml_oarchive_at_archive@boost@@@archive_at_boost@@QAEXABV?$basic_string_at_DU?$char_traits_at_D@std@@V?$allocator_at_D@2@@std@@@Z

The only difference is that the library symbol contains a "D" and the
linker is looking for "G" in a couple of places. I have found no way of
going any further. Since the demos are built in debug mode and with
static libraries, I found no useful information by inspecting the
commands bjam uses in building them. Everything is just like I have in
my own project.

I have defined BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DYN_LINK, if you happen to think
about that. I even managed to link my app with mingw, but got strange
run-time errors. Everything works fine with gcc on Linux.

Any advice?

-Topi-