From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-13 19:02:27

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:26:49AM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what the standard library is supposed to do. But
>> the fact is that at least some implementations of he standard
>> library are not handling text i/o symetically in at least two cases:
>>
>> uninitialized bools.
>> floating/double NaN, +/- inf, etc.
>>

> We hit this problem early on. We're serializing things where NaN is
> overloaded to mean both NaN and "uninitialized", and where +/- inf are
> perfectly valid values. We often need to serialize structures between
> runs that contain sections that haven't been initialized. A couple of
> our platforms have exactly this bug.
>
> I'll dig up my changes and send them to you. IIRC they were three or
> four lines each.

How about adding a little bit to one of the files in serialization/test to
test these things. Send that along with your changes. Probably adding a
couple of variables to A.hpp will be sufficient. Truth is, I don't even
know
how one goes about assigning a NaN or a +/inf to floating/double variable !!

Robert Ramey