From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-19 13:43:59

Andreas Sæbjørnsen wrote:

> I think the best soulution would be like you suggested to add
> the '$' character to the valid basic source character set to
> allow identifiers containeing a $. I therefore tested out how
> different major compilers and versions of these compilers
> handle this. The following compilers and versions of the
> compilers allow a '$' character within the identifiers (of macros):
>
> gcc 2.95, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3.3, 3.4.3 and 4.0.2 icc (intel c
> compiler) 8.0, 8.1
>
> I would corroborate for the fact that it seems like there is
> some traction for allowing '$' characters within identifiers
> in major compiler preprocessors.
>
> I have not been able to reproduce the error you got with GCC
> or with any other compiler . Which compiler and version did
> you use when you got your error message?

I agree with you, that most (if not all) of the existing compilers allow '$'
to be used in identifiers. So I decided to (optionally) include this
behaviour into Wave as well (and I made it the default behaviour). To
maintain the possibility of having a strictly Standards conforming
preprocessor it is possible now to configure the Wave library by defining
the BOOST_WAVE_USE_STRICT_LEXER constant during compilation, which will
revert to the previous behaviour.

HTH
Regards Hartmut