From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-21 17:06:19

On 11/20/05 8:37 PM, "Hartmut Kaiser" <hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Daryle Walker wrote:
>> Hartmut (?) wrote:
[SNIP]
>>> What certainly could be done additionally is to add the '$' character to the
>>> valid basic source character set to allow identifiers conatining a '$', but
>>> this weakens the Standards conformance of Wave. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Maybe it can be moved to the valid UCN list instead. This assumes that Wave
>> is currently capable of UCN processing.
>
> It is. And it checks for UCN validity, but only as long these are specified as
> \uxxxx or \Uxxxxxxxxx. (Wave leaves the actual translation into the execution
> character set to the compiler which processes the preprocessed Wave output -
> it acts solely on the character level).

This isn't internal-to-execution translation, but source-to-internal
instead. Any non-basic characters, even if they have an actual symbol (like
'$') should get resolved like the \u or \U notation. But this is dependent
on whatever character set is used for a platform's text files.

>> Either way, you should make this optional, and disabled by default, to allow
>> Standards conformance when needed.
>
> I've added the '$' to the basic source character set and it is allowed to be
> part of an identifier name now. I made this optional (configurable at compile
> time). Currently its on by default ('$' is recognised), but this arguable.
[TRUNCATE]

I would suggest keeping '$' as an extended character, but put it
(optionally) in the identifier-legal list. That way we minimize the amount
of power '$' gets. Also, you do allow \u and \U notation characters to be
placed in identifiers, right?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie