From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-26 14:51:51

Merrill Cornish wrote:
> Yes, I should have left out the delete() for the shared_ptr version since that's
> one if its big features. I have used shared_ptr code similar to your example,
> but I can't use it in the case I'm thinking of. This particular pointer needs to
> be passed around so a single scope doesn't work.

If the shared_ptr is passed around by value, as a regular (*) pointer
would be, it will correctly keep track of the reference count and delete
only when there are no more referrers. -- That's basically the whole
point of shared_ptr. If you didn't want the reference count you could
just use scoped_ptr or std::auto_ptr.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything