From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-02 03:05:58

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 07:47:16AM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Pavol Droba <droba <at> topmail.sk> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > This seems like a goot idea. I like the interface with int parameter.
> > I'll add it to my todo list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pavol
>
> What's wrong with erase_tail_copy?

Well, you got me. It's a shame, but I have forgotten, that there is already
function for this. My response was make without consideration of the existence
of erase_tail/head.

Given this, I see no futher reason to modify behaviour of find_head.

> Don't like the idea with negative numbers becuse I can't see how code can use
> the functionality. Either you want the to use the positive version or the
> negative version and then it can be different functions. Combining it into the
> same function doubles the size and might affect inlining, optimization etc.

Actualy the usage of negative numbers in indexation of string ranges is quite common
in scripting world. For example ruby and perl do have something like this.

> What about find_nth?

It would make sence to do the same here, but only if other algorithms like find_head
would be modified as well.
As I see that there is no reason for former, I will not modify the later.

Best regards,
Pavol