From: Hugh Hoover (hugh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-07 12:15:28

On Dec 6, 2005, at 12:43, David Abrahams wrote:

> Hugh Hoover <hugh_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Have you looked at boost::indirect_iterator? Just make a
>>> container of
>>> pointers to the abstract base and iterate over that :)
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but that won't really work.
>
> Why?

mainly performance. Imagine a tree structure where the nodes are of
different concrete types based on a common abstract interface. So
far, no problem... But, the nodes have subtree arity ranging from 0
to >10,000 - to walk the structure means creating a new vector for
each node visited with a size equal to the node's arity, and
initializing from another structure (which may not be a vector).

If I use some kind of abstract iterator interface, the >iterator<
gets allocated, but can walk the concrete structure directly.
Clearly, there's a tradeoff here - and I'm betting that the abstract
iterator is cheaper than the vector - I haven't proven that.

Hugh Hoover
Enumclaw Software