From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-12 14:03:05

Rodrigo Baroni wrote:
> I just have one doubt now: The output to a std::string (that has
> internal variable size, and so, maybe use some linked queue, or
> whatever I guess), or to output to a pre-alocated buffer?
>
> Shouldn't be, in some cases where this task is done a lot of
> times in a loop (like is the case - where I'm doing compression of
> frames in a streaming video server) be more faster and better to
> output to memory directly in a pre-alocated buffer?

Possibly; you'd have to measure it. If you use a vector and call reserve(), I
doubt you'll notice any difference.

It's also easy to write an array_sink that counts the number of characters that
have been written to it. There's an example implementation at
<boost/iostreams/detail/counted_array.hpp>.

--
Jonathan Turkanis
www.kangaroologic.com