From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-16 04:43:46

LI Daobing wrote:

>Hello, I use Debian/Linux and libboost-filesystem-dev(1.33.0-5), and I
>meet the following problem, I want to know whether it is bug or my
>mistake, please help me, thanks.

It is kind of a bug, or perhaps a feature, depending on how you see it.
By default, the global file name checker on all Unix system is
portable_posix, which is extremely restrictive: it does not allow # or
even a space, among many other things. This can be a good thing, if you
want your program to be portable to as many POSIX systems as possible.
However, it can also be extremely limitating, especially if you're
dealing with names coming from the user, or read from disk - if your
program fails to read "family photo.jpg", your users will be angry.
Since there is no exhaustive linux checker in the library yet, I usually
set the global checker to no_check.

Sebastian Redl