From: Rob Lemley (rclemley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-19 18:18:23

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> They are probably included in the "universe" component, which doesn't
> have the same level of support. It's not enabled by default but should
> be easily accessible.

On Ubuntu, I think if you edit /etc/apt/sources.list you will see that
by un-commenting a line in sources.list you can get access to the entire
ubuntu archive, including Universe.

You can see that Ubuntu provides the boost packages:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ls-lR.gz

If you're new to Ubuntu/Debian, then I would advise against mixing
binary packages.

If you really need a package that's available on Debian but not Ubuntu,
it's probably safer to do "apt-get source" and build the package
yourself (though I haven't tried this on Ubuntu). This is especially
true with C++ libraries, because of Compiler ABI changes, stdc++ library
changes, etc which can make binaries very incompatible, sometimes with
only a link warning that flies by your screen. Next thing you know your
app is core dumping without a clue...