From: Grégoire Dooms (dooms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-05 06:13:48

Drumheller, Michael a écrit :

>Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the error-prone, undebuggable dinosaur
>that is make, and I would never advocate it for a new project. I too
>can appreciate that bjam seems very powerful. And elegant, in its own
>way. It also seems very fast. But with a monster learning curve.
>That's not necessarily a downer--you don't get something for nothing,
>and I actually *like* learning new tools, so I was happy to see the
>"Abandon hope, all ye who <would use a tool other than bjam>" warning on
>the gates of Boost.Python (yellow box above), because I thought, well,
>there's my motivation to learn bjam--maybe bjam will be my new default
>build tool(!) I read all the documents I could find, but man, it's like
>learning Turkish or Vietnamese or something. You need a teacher, and
>there are just zero teachers in my org. Alas, the bjam files in Boost
>themselves (those that are used to build the Boost libraries) are (or at
>least seem) *extremely* sohpisticated, and are woefully uncommented--in
>fact, absolutely *un*commented if you define a comment as something with
>tutorial value, e.g., "Here is an excellent example of a rule to do
>such-and-such." Personally, I was unable to get past the knee of the
>curve given my other commitments.

Same problem here. I have been using Boost.Python to wrap C++ code for
two small projects and I have never been able to compile something other
than hello word. If I remember well I could not find a way to add
include search paths and dynamic libraries. I finally had to ask bjam to
print the gcc command lines it was using and copy-paste-edit them in a
Makefile. I tried hard to get docs about this and all I could find this
message on C++-sig:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2004-February/006869.html
Alas I could not find a way to get my edited Jamfile parsed by bjam.

A repository of Jamfiles from very small projects using basic bjam
features would help.

AFAIK bjam is a Boost implem of an older tool called jam. Should we look
at docs/books about this older system ?

Best,

--
Grégoire Dooms.