From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-18 05:46:31

> Jeff, thanks for that pointer. I was unaware of it.
> Though it does show the Intel compiler that I'm using under MSVC6 is
> fully compliant with all the relevant libraries. It even passes all
> bar 2 of the Spirit tests.
>
> So there must be something associated with the environment on this
> machine (Win2K). Another machine in the office running XP with VS 2003
> does a clean compile, but VS 2003 isn't available to this project.
> Though, if push comes to shove, I might move the compiled libraries
> across along with their include files (that would need approval from
> QA though).

There are two issues here: the compiler which as you say is a very capable
and conformant one, and the standard library it's forced to sit on top of,
which is highly non-conforming. The results on our test page would most
likely have been run with Intel sitting on top of VC7.1 which is a whole
other ball game.

The errors you are seeing:

C:\Libraries\boost_1_33_0\libs\program_options\build\../src/options_description.cpp(378):
error: too few arguments for class template "std::reverse_iterator"
find(reverse_iterator<string::const_iterator>(line_end - 1),

All stem from not having a conforming std lib to work with. They're
probably work-roundable, but it's a lot of work (at our end) for what is an
obsolete std lib that's no longer even supported by MS. You may have better
luck if you're able to use STLport, but frankly if you can't get approval
for VC7.1 which is just so much more stable and reliable than VC6 (all IMO
of course), then I'd be surprised if you can get approval for STLport
either. :-(

So I'm afraid you're likely to be limited to the sub-set of Boost that works
with VC6, sorry,

John Maddock.