From: Robert Vinluan (rvinluan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-20 13:01:18

Hi All,

Has anyone been successful in getting the boost iostreams library to
work under gcc 2.96?

I'm able to build the iostreams library, but I can't compile my project
code which uses some iostreams objects. The compiler fails with this
line of code:

     boost::iostreams::filtering_stream<boost::iostreams::input> fstrm_in;

All I'm doing here is creating a filtering_stream object. The compiler
spits out lots of garbage with "instantiated from here" messages
everywhere. Here's a snippet of the garbage:

/home/prisms/devBuilder/hfs/custom/include/boost/type_traits/is_convertible.hpp:128:
template instantiation depth exceeds maximum of 17 (use
-ftemplate-depth-NN to increase the maximum) instantiating
`boost::detail::is_convertible_basic_impl<boost::iostreams::basic_null_device<char,
boost::iostreams::input>::category &, boost::iostreams::input>::_m_from'
/home/prisms/devBuilder/hfs/custom/include/boost/type_traits/is_convertible.hpp:128:
   instantiated from
boost::iostreams::detail::chain_base<boost::iostreams::chain<boost::iostreams::input,
char, boost::iostreams::detail::char_traits, allocator<char> >, char,
boost::iostreams::detail::char_traits, allocator<char>,
boost::iostreams::input>::chain_impl]'
IMG_FileGZip.C:138: instantiated from here

IMG_FileGZip.C is my project file with line 138 being the line I
mentioned above.

I've checked boost documentation and the boost users mailing list but
haven't found anything mentioning iostreams being incompatible with gcc
2.96.

I'm not sure what I can try to fix or workaround this problem. Can
anybody shed some light?

Many Thanks,
Rob

P.S. The same code compiles and works fine under other versions of gcc
(i.e. 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and 4.0).

Also, if it helps, here is the command I'm using to build boost:
        bjam -sBUILD="debug <threading>multi" --with-iostreams -sNO_BZIP2=0
install;