From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-27 12:13:36

"RIVASSEAU Jean Noel" <JN.RIVASSEAU_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
Hello

The following code (attached) demonstrate a problem that I have. I am trying
to serialize via pointer to base class (MObject) which is abstract. The docs
say that a compile error will occur when trying to do that.

***
I think it should if your compiler can't support it. But I can't say for
sure.

I don't have any compile time errors emitted but the build fails at link
time (it does not instantiate the save/load code for the abstract base
class).

The solutions provided in the docs are: write BOOST_IS_ABSTRACT(MObject): I
did that and nothing changes;

Or

Implement is_abstract for your compiler. I do not understand what this
means. Can you help me out ?

Currently the only workaround I have is to not make the base class abstract,
but I would like it to be abstract.

***
its hard for me to follow what's going on here. One thing I did notice is
that the I didn't see
<boost/serialization/base_object.hpp> included in the places where it is
used. I'm not
sure if that's significant.

Robert Ramey