From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-01 19:32:11

These conversations always under the AINAL disclaimer...

Glenn Thorne wrote:
> I want to use several of the Boost libraries in a project I'm working on and
> am a little concerned over a potential conflict between the website
> information and the Boost license language.
>
> On the website it mentions that the license is "not viral" but the language
> in the Boost license states that ".. and to permit third-parties to whom the
> Software is furnished to do so, all subject to the following: The copyright
> notices in the Software and this entire statement, including the above
> license grant, this restriction and the following disclaimer, must be
> included in all copies of the Software, in whole or in part, and all
> derivative works of the Software, unless such copies or derivative works are
> solely in the form of machine-executable object code generated by a source
> language processor."
>
> It seems to me that since derivative works must be subject to the license,
> any code I link with the Boost libraries would also be subject to the Boost
> license. Am I reading this correctly or is there a different
> interpretation?

That isn't a derivative work of Boost. That's either your own work or
someone else's work. For it to be a derivative work you would have to
change the Boost code. Which you could do and still not have to include
the license statement as long as you *only* distribute binaries. Or more
precisely if you *don't* distribute source code, or equivalent thereof.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything