From: Mateusz Łoskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-13 08:36:01

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> I also checked that the version above for Boost 1.33 works well
>> with Boost 1.34 (tested with VC++ 8.0). So, can I safely use older
>> approach:
>>
>> #define BOOST_AUTO_TEST_MAIN #include
>> <boost/test/auto_unit_test.hpp>
>>
>> and assume that it will work well with future releases of Boost?
>

> No - old names are depricated. You still could use it. But it's going
> to be removed in some future release. Boost 1.34 should be out pretty
> soon. You may want to wait till it's out and rely purely on new
> names.

Hi Gennadiy,

I have some more questions if you don't mind.
Unfortunately, I'm a bit disappointed about how easy it's possible to
break backward compatibility between close releases of Boost.

I'd really don't expect to experience such important change between so
close releasese like 1.33 and 1.34.

Now, I'm asking myself "Does it mean that I have to keep in mind such
problems can occur quite often?"

So, now I doubt if I can see my code based on Boost as a stable.
Another potential problem I see is that often changes in Boost API will
easily force some overhead of maintenance of my code base.

Please, could you comment my thoughts?

If my assumptions are quite correct, then I think I have to consider
using more stable Unit Testing tools.

Best regards

--
Mateusz Łoskot