From: Mateusz Łoskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-13 13:41:39

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>> I have some more questions if you don't mind. Unfortunately, I'm a
>> bit disappointed about how easy it's possible to break backward
>> compatibility between close releases of Boost.
>

> Boost.Test *is* backward compartible. It's not forward compartible
> though. Meaning you couldn't use new examples with old library. Some
> features are indeed getting deprecated. But usually it takes 2-3
> releases at least (in time frame it's close to 1-2 years).
>
> Unless you have any particular issues using old example with new
> library, do you?

Hi Gennadiy,

It seems I don't understand something or I've not expressed the problem
clearly. Let me try again.

I started with Boost.Test from Boost 1.34.
After some time, I realized that many of my users will be able to use
only Boost 1.33.
Then, I noticed that my Unit Tests based on Boost's UTF are not working
with Boost 1.33.
So, that's what I understand as a "broken backward compatibility".
Boost UTF interface seems to be changed in 1.34, so it's not possible to
use Unit Tests written using Boost 1.34 with Boost 1.33.
If Boost 1.34 was backward compatible, then those tests prepared with
1.34 could be run using 1.33. Am I right?

OK, I agree backward/forward understanding may be different, so please
don't stick to those words, but to my explanation.

Now, how should I move on with Boost.Test to ensure that:
- users using Boost 1.33 will be able to run my tests
- users using Boost 1.34 and higher will be able to run my tests
?

Thanks for your patience ;-)

Cheers

--