From: Calderon Hector (hhcalderon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-20 10:44:47

Sorry for the problems with the quoting ...

In program_options, not only you cannot give Unicode names to options, but you cannot give Unicode descriptions. These are important to avoid narrow->wide conversion when printing the help message.

Another issue with Unicode support in overall boost. I cannot find a switch that would signal Unicode support and default a symbol to the correspond instance of a template (like _T in tchar.h). For example, it would be great to have

#ifdef BOOST_UNICODE
#define toptions_description woptions_description
#else
#define toptions_description options_description
 #endif

where woptions_description uses Unicode for everything.

++Hector C.

Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote: Calderon Hector wrote:

> Comments below:

Is it possible that you quote the message you reply to in a regular way?
Without quoting it's hard to find where you reply begings.

> Vladimir Prus wrote: Calderon Hector wrote:
>
>> Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries
>> (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?
>
> Did you read:
>
> http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238
>
> and if yes, what is missing, in your opinion?
> In the very first example from
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/html/program_options/tutorial.html#id2714212
>
> you stumble with options_description which has no Unicode support (as far
> as I can tell).

What do you mean, exactly. Again, in

     http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238

the Unicode support is discussed in some depth. What do you mean by
"options_description has no Unicode support"? The fact that you can't give
Unicode names to options? Yes, this is not supported for now. The fact that
you can't parse wide version of argc and argv -- but you actually can! Or
what do you mean?

- Volodya