From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-21 13:53:51

> I am intrigued with what you said about converting data from UTF-8 to
> UTF-32 on the fly. It is absolutely not a problem to convert my
> Unicode strings to UTF-8 encoded strings. Where could I read about
> those on the fly conversions and what limitations do they have (e.g.
> how locale settings are handled)?

What locale settings? UTF-8 is mostly locale-independent (as an encoding),
the only locale specific code is in the traits class to handle collation:
and it only sees UTF-32 code points. The on-the-fly conversions are
performed by iterator adapters in boost/regex/pending/unicode_iterator.hpp
and the docs for the Unicode aware code is here:
http://www.boost.org/libs/regex/doc/icu_strings.html

John.