From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-03 18:14:25

admin_at_[hidden] wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm sure this is just a configuration issue, but I'm not sure where my
>config is wrong. I'm using boost_regex_search, and capturing subgroups.
>When I use this regular expression:
>
>^(*.)a(*.)
>
>On this string: "Management"

You'll end up with a syntax error, because the asterisk goes after the
dot. But that's probably just a typo in the post.

>I end up with the following matches:
>
>0==> Management
>1==> Man
>2==> gement
>
>Should this be returning the following matches?
>
>0==>Management
>1==>M
>2==>nagement
>3==>Management
>4==>Man
>5==>gement
>
>Or am I getting exactly what I'm supposed to be getting here?

You're getting exactly what you're supposed to get. Neither regex_search
nor any other regex function attempts to find more than one way a given
string could match the regex. Thus, since * is greedy, the first .* will
always match "Man", never just "M" unless the remainder of the regex
cannot be satisfied otherwise.

>Also, the default syntax is Perl syntax, correct?

Correct.

Sebastian Redl