From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-08 12:57:34

> On 4/8/06, Lynn Allan <l_d_allan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Thanks, but that isn't quite my question. I'm interested in the actual
> internal layout of the data in the actual std::string.

The standard doesn't force any internal representation for
std::string. It could be a linked list of characters, if the
implementation felt like being evil. ( More likely would be a rope of
some kind. )

I would expect, however, that most implementations wil basically keep
it as a null-terminated std::vector<char>-like internal representation
for simplicity since c_str() is unfortunatly still rampant.

~ Scott