From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-10 11:24:08

On 4/10/06, James Hughes <JHughes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> My question is this - does Boost provide anything that does this already (or
> does anyone know of anything that does), or am I looking at this the wrong
> way? Should I look at boost filesystem, and provide extra bits to implement
> what we need? Alternatives?

I'm not certain that you need Boost for this.

streambufs are already designed to buffer information, so simply
providing a large enough buffer for the amount of information
generated on average in the time span you wish between writes ought to
limit writes enough for your application.

The main issue I foresee would be insuring that std::endl isn't used
when you don't want the flush and insuring that the implementations of
your streambufs actually use the buffer as you're expecting.

~ SWMc