From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-13 05:54:42

> * not real confident of the numbers .... seem reasonable but ...

That's roughly what I'd expect: Regex and xpressive use very similar
algorithms internally, with Eric and I occationally playing a game of
leapfrog :-) And probably we've both already grabbed the low hanging fruit,
unless Eric has any cunning plans he's keeping to himself :-) Performance
between the two depends upon the exact expression used, and the data
searched, but they probably should be within a factor of 2 of each other.
Historically Regex tended to do better with sparse matches in big files, and
xpressive better with short dense matches, but I haven't tested a really
recent version of xpressive, so as ever your mileage may vary.

John.