From: Lynn Allan (l_d_allan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-13 20:36:08

John Maddock wrote:
> That's certainly true for libraries like xpressive / spirit / ublas
> that make heavy use of template metaprogamming and/or expression
> templates.
>
> Boost.Regex avoids this by moving most of the template instances you
> will likely use into the library (so they don't get instantiated in
> your object files), and precompiled headers are certainly a big win
> in this case.

You get really spoiled by split second compilation times.

Perhaps one of my top memories related to programming is the first
time I used the Borland Turbo Pascal compiler (early-to-mid 80's?) on
a dual floppy PC. The competing Pascal compilers took several minutes
for a 500 line program (with disk swapping mid way thru). Turbo Pascal
was just DONE when you pressed the enter key. Less than a second,
IIRC.

My first thought was, "What did I do wrong ... it CAN'T be done
already. No way!"

Way.

I have never experienced, before or since, such a quantum leap in
technology. It revolutionized software development and transformed the
task from mostly drudgery to "a hoot" (and my real job at the time was
COBOL programming where you submitted a card deck and came back later
for output from a multi-million $ computer .... you kids have it
soooooo easy <g> .... sorry for the "war story").