From: Leandro Melo (ltcmelo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-29 12:17:50

Hi.
According to the site, most boost graph algorithms guarantee
complexity bounds. For instance, DFS and BFS have complexity time O(V
+ E), Bellman-Ford has complexity O(VE), etc...
As fair as I'm concerned (and from the knowledge I have) the
complexity time bounds exposed on the graph web pages (like the ones I
described above) are usually the 'best' theoretical values for them
that can be found in the literature.
However, something is still 'dark' for me. Most of this algorithms
achieve this time bounds when implemented in a very specialized
manner. Boost graph library is NOT like this, since we know it's a
very nice generic library. Boost uses Property Maps for a lot of
algorithms. My question is whether or not this property maps affect
the complexity bounds.
For example: In the original implementation of Bellman-Ford (which
achieves O(VE)) weights are attached to edges. In boost's
implementation, they're in the form of property maps. Right there,
there's a change from a constant time operation (edge->get_weight, for
example) to a logarithmic time operation (weight_map[edge], for
example).
I must say that I didn't take carefull look at the algorithms
implementations, but it just seems weird to me that the same
complexity bounds can still be achieved with those property maps.
Can anyone help understand that?
Thanks.

--
Leandro Terra C. Melo