From: Dmitry Bufistov (dmitry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-11 11:43:24

Greg Link wrote:

> Dima -
> I've got a 2D grid-structure, of some size "n x n". Each point in
> the grid is connected to it's four neighboring and adjacent cells in
> the grid by an edge. The edges (and their weights) represent the
> delay to travel between those two points in the grid. The weight of
> the edges is non-uniform, and determined at run-time.
>
> I have a set of {X1,Y1} and {X2,Y2} pairs that I want to find the
> shortest path between. The set is 'large'. Rather than running the
> standard dijkstra_shortest_path, and therefore having a run-time of O
> (num_pairs * V^2), I use johnson to find the all_pairs paths, at a
> cost of O(V*E*log(V)). Since E=2*V, that's effectively (V^2 log(V)).
> For any num_pairs > log(V), the johnson algorithm /should/ be faster.
>
> I do this a number of times (10 million)
If every time your delays being changed at the same value, then you
probably don´t need to rerun shortest pathes algorithm every time, you
just can recalculate all you shortest-pathes trees in linear time as
described here
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/cs/pdf/0205/0205041.pdf
(Note sure that even in this case it will increase perfomance, but if
you are really concerned about it then you can try)
--dima