From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-12 18:34:37

jbd <evadream.mlist_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> It isn't clear why do you need to bind bar2 at all, instead of just
>> using boost::function < void (int) > f3( &bar2 ) ;
>
> To make a long story short, i'd like people
> always use the same mecanism (syntax), not a boost::bind here and nothing
> there.
>
> Maybe I tried to simplify my problem too much. The small code i'm
> "working" on is at the end of this message. I will try to say what i
> really want to do with words.
>
> The idea :
>
> class FunctionInterface :
> -> a pure virtual classe with an public void execute(const std::string&) =
> 0 member
>
> class GeneralFunctor :
> -> a class with a boost::shared_ptr<FunctionInterface> function_ member
> which is called via the operator()(const std::string) const ;
> The constructor take a pointer to a FunctionInterface.
>
> template < typename Func >
> class Functor : public FunctionInterface
> -> keeps a boost::function<Func> as a member and implement the
> execute function
>
> template < typename FuncType >
> GeneralFunctor MakeFunctor(FuncType func)
> -> This is my helper function to build a GeneralFunctor from any
> boost::function

At first glance this looks like a very complicated and expensive way
of adding an OO layer over boost::function, which is *already*
providing all the dynamic polymorphism you need. I could be missing
something, but maybe you just need to get comfortable with using
boost::function and operator() instead of GeneralFunctor and
execute()? FWIW, there's a reason we do this stuff with operator():
it improves interoperability (e.g. with STL).

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting