From: Wang Yun (a_hao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-15 21:41:31

Robert Ramey wrote:

>Wang Yun wrote:
>

>>Hi, all
>>
>>I do some tests and found it's ok to save/load wstring into/from
>>text_oarchive, Am I very lucky? or it's safe to do this?
>>

>All archives in the serialization library include code to serialize all
>"primitive" types. For purposes of this discussion, std::wstring
>is considered a primitive type. In general, we have strived
>to maintain archive classes independent to any particular
>data type. That is - any data type should work with any archive.
>

>>When do I need to use text_woarchive?
>>

>When you want to store using wide characters (ie unicode) rather
>than multi-byte characters of a specific locale.
>

>>Thanks,
>>

>Your welcome
>
>Robert Ramey

I understand now, thanks.

And I have another question, in the version 1.34's document(from cvs),
in the Pending issues, you say "Floating point values which are number
cannot be serialized to text base archives.". Is this means that if I
want to save same float or double value, I can only use binary_archive?
If I still want to use text or xml archive, I think maybe I can use a
wrapper class like:
class BinaryFloat
{
    void serialize()
    {
        // save/load _value's binary in text string, like "0xABCDEFGH"
        // and also save some platform info so I can use this portablely.
    }
private:
    float _value;
};