From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-18 05:57:11

"Andy Little" wrote

> You know, reading the introduction to
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html it really isnt very clear to
> me.

[...]

Following my previous post on this subject. It appears that having downloaded
boost_1_33_1, then clicking the links "Getting Started" and "Getting Started
Guide" on the main index page does absolutely nothing in IE6, no change from
the index page, no error message, nothing... most strange. This may have
something to do with my IE6 settings, but my setup works fine with
boost_1_33_0. Everything works in Firefox though.

Once having manually opened <more/getting_started.html> (
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html ) and heading for the section
headed Preparation, I was intrigued by the link to "build bjam from sources"
(http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/index.html#building_bjam)

Once there , I am presented with this text, the first line of which is like
hitting me with a sledge hammer AFAICS, when I go WHAT???

--------------------------
*Building Boost.Jam*

Installing BJam after building it is simply a matter of copying the generated
executables someplace in your PATH. For building the executables there are a set
of build bootstrap scripts to accomodate particular environments. The scripts
take one optional argument, the name of the toolset to build with. When the
toolset is not given an attempt is made to detect an available toolset and use
that. The build scripts accept these areguments:

<build script name> [toolset]

Running the scripts without arguments will give you the best chance of success.
On Windows platforms from a command console do:

cd <jam source location>
.\build.bat

On Unix type platforms do:

cd <jam source location>
sh ./build.sh

For the Boost.Jam source included with the Boost distribution the <jam source
location> is BOOST_ROOT/tools/build/jam_src.

If the scripts fail to detect an appropriate toolset to build with your
particular toolset may not be auto-detectable. In that case, you can specify the
toolset as the first argument, this assumes that the toolset is readily
available in the PATH. NOTE: The toolset used to build Boost.Jam is independent
of the toolsets used for Boost.Build. Only one version of Boost.Jam is needed to
use Boost.Build. The supported toolsets, and wether they are auto-detected, are:

------------------------

In line with my remarks in the previous post I propose the changed text:

-----------------------------
*Building Boost.Jam*

The location for the Boost.Jam source files included with the Boost distribution
is < [**link to** BOOST_ROOT] /tools/build/jam_src>.

Also provided in the above Boost.Jam source directory are a set of build
bootstrap scripts that can be used to build the Boost.Jam executable (called
bjam.exe) in particular environments .

Note: The scripts can take one optional argument. See *Building Boost.jam -
Troubleshooting* for more information, but running the scripts without arguments
will give you the best chance of success...

On Windows platforms from a command console do:

cd <jam source location>
.\build.bat

On Unix type platforms do:

cd <jam source location>
sh ./build.sh

Installing BJam after building it is simply a matter of copying the generated
executables someplace in your PATH.

*Building Boost.jam - Troubleshooting*
If the build scripts fail to detect an appropriate toolset to build with your
particular toolset may not be auto-detectable. The scripts take one optional
argument, the name of the toolset to build with.:

<build script name> [toolset]

 In that case, you can specify the toolset as the first argument, this assumes
that the toolset is readily available in the PATH. NOTE: The toolset used to
build Boost.Jam is independent of the toolsets used for Boost.Build. Only one
version of Boost.Jam is needed to use Boost.Build. The supported toolsets, and
whether they are auto-detected, are:

etc
--------------------------

BTW It would be nice if all mentions of BOOST_ROOT in the docs were links
explaining what it is again and again and again...

All in all after looking through the getting started docs I believe the
combination is why
so many people have problems installing Boost!

Apologies about all the criticism, but "getting started" is quite important isnt
it?

But as for the Windows Boost installer. It looks Great! Especially as it shows
how useful a GUI is ;-) .. However I would recommend downloading only the distro
and then building locally as downloading all the binaries can take an awfully
long time. I gave up after an hour and cancelled it FWIW.

regards
Andy Little