From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 18:21:53

Jan Stetka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What compiler and library combination were you using when it failed? The
> regression tests (follow the links on the main page) are useful for
> seeing which compilers pass and fail particular test cases. Some of the
> libraries include in the documentation what compilers they support.

The combinations which failed were Wave and Program_Options with VC6. I
am not sanguine about using VC6, knowing what a poor compiler it is in
terms of C++ standardization but I am forced to at least for some
programs in a consulting job I am doing.

I do not think regression test results are a valid way to say what
compilers are supported for a library. Many of the regression tests do
not even occur for particular compilers, and there are many testers
doing tests, some using a particular compiler for particular libraries
and others not using a particular compiler. The regression tests results
appear very random, not in their actual results buit in whom is doing
testing with what.

Many libraries do not bother to say anything in their documentation
about what compilers are supported.

Boost really needs a table which specifically says, for any given
release in the future, which compilers are supported for which
libraries. Anything short of that is confusing and will cause end user
problems.