From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 21:31:17

David Abrahams wrote:
> Edward Diener <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Thanks for your answers. While the regression tests show what libraries
>> support what compilers, it does so through testing programs. In my case
>> I ran 'bjam "-sTOOLS=msvc"' from the Boost directory for 1.33.1 and
>> received numerous error messages when attempting to build
>> program_options and wave libraries. I think that if a library does not
>> support a particular compiler, as the regression tests show for VC6 and
>> program_options or wave, then an attempt to build libraries which do not
>> support the compiler mentioned on the bjam command line should either
>> skip a build of that particular library or put out a simple error
>> message that the particular library does not support the particular
>> compiler. It should not attempt to build the library at all if that
>> library is clearly not supported for the particular compiler.
>
> Our test reporting and build tools have not reached that level of
> integration yet, but that would indeed be a great feature. Care to
> contribute it?

What is wrong with individual binary library developers setting their
jamfiles so a compiler which their library does not support is not built
? Yes, I know that is a manual operation which imposes the knowledge
that a particular compiler does not work for their library, and there
may be ways to automatically determine it, but at least it aids the
end-user in using that library.

I do not know bjam, either v1 or v2, and frankly it appears like a bear
to learn properly. I am also working at two different consulting jobs.
My suggestions on this thread are not an effort to create work for
library developers but rather to find a way to make libraries more
easily usable by end-users like me. It was confusing to me when some
libraries did not build when using VC6, which I am unfortunately forced
to use at least partially in a consulting jobs with legacy code, and I
had to find out if VC6 was supported by these libraries.

I do hope that Boost in the future can make it easier for end users to
determine whether their compiler is supported by a library, whether or
not that library is being built as a binary library, or being used
strictly as a header only library. I do appreciate Peter Dimov's
pointing me at what to look for on the regression tests.