From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-19 11:33:10

This would be possible but ...

a) It would require some effort and no one has found the benefit to be worth
that effort.
b) It would usually require that the whole archive be loaded into memory to
be parsed. This would mean that one could no longer handle an arbitrary
sized data set. For some applications this wouldn't be a problem. For
others - a deal breaker.

So its a question of trading one limitation for another - arbitray file size
vs arbitrary member order.

Robert Ramey