From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-22 22:45:47

> From: "Ovanes Markarian" <om_boost_at_[hidden]>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to specialize boost::is_pointer so, that it can determine if a
> type is a pointer
> wrapper (shared_ptr, auto_ptr, weak_ptr).
>
> Does anybody has ideas how this can be done? May be it would be possible
> to handle if e.g. one can
> determine if a class/struct has some typedef inside:

You can make a template to detect typedefs - I wrote a has_value_type<T> for
value_type. In my case I needed to know if the underlying type was char or
wchar_t, so I ended up with a recursive thing that would even resolve things
like a 'list of vectors of strings', etc.

> Somehow I am not certain if I am on the right path. My problem is that I
> have a variant container
> type with different types. One could access a value using -> operator. The
> operator returns the
> pointer to the value. But if this value is a pointer (that can be
> determined by boost::is_pointer
> type trait) it should return the pointer and not pointer to pointer value.
> Now what happens if I
> store shared_ptr or any other type which overload -> operator? This will
> result in compiler error,
> because the compiler tries to access member of the pointer to pointer and
> not of the pointer
> instance.

You can also write a has_specific_member_function<T>, and thus I suspect you
could also do it for operator->(). I think it depends on whether you can
take a member function pointer to an operator function.

google for has_foo, or try
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/browse_frm/thread/a69f4423b407b1ab/0814dfec14027822?lnk=st&q=has_foo&rnum=1#0814dfec14027822

Is there may be a way to determine if the member access operator is
> overloaded? What if ->
> operator is defined in the base? And what if child class inherits base as
> protected or private?

Haven't tried any variations on public/protected/private - I suspect that
you need to have a template that checks publicly, then another that checks
for protected (I suspect that version of has_arrow_op<T> would probably need
to derive from T) and I doubt you could tell the difference between a class
that doesn't have ->, and a class that has a private ->. But I doubt you
would want to know - if it doesn't have a callable ->, then you should
probably act like it doesn't have one at all - ie it doesn't want you to
think of it as a pointer.

The other solution would be to force every user to write a specialized class
> is_pointer for every
> type stored in variant, but this would be not so nice.
>

> With Kind Regards,
>
> Ovanes Markarian

Tony