From: Jabe (tahoma_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-24 05:19:35

>> Before investigating more work into this, I think it cannot be done in
>> the next couple of hours. All the "tracking_id", "object_id" and so on
>> attributes cannot be read from the XML file (they aren't there). So I
>> really don't know if the XML input ever will work even when the xml
>> output is working.
>
> note that there is a fundemental mismatch here - which I've discussed
> before. Boost serialization generated from the class hierarchy. The
> XML which is generated reflects that. There is no way that an arbitrary
> xml schema can be loaded via boost serialization. Either the schema
> is provided by a C++ program (boost serialization) or by an XML
> schema.

Yes, I know. XML cannot be called "serialization", because of its free
ordering of elements and attributes. In the case you change the order of
boost's serialized elements inside a XML file, in deserialization will
throw a stream exception. Because I've touched the serialization part of
boost the first time this was what I wanted to know exactly.

Nevertheless i wouldn't say it's impossible. When giving access to the
classnames in boost whenever needed, the serialization to an arbitrary
XML scheme (at least that one I need) can be done. The deserialization
is another thing which I haven't tried to touch yet. I guess that one
additional method can make it possible :)

So far, I take this experiences with boost::serialization with me and go
for another solution.

Thank you
Jabe